Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance of a person’s smile, teeth or gums. A combination of lifestyle and personal factors can result in teeth changing in appearance over the years. Changes in appearance of teeth can be caused by:
- Staining from foods and drinks
- Staining from smoking
- Use of antibiotics in children which can lead to permanent colour changes in adult teeth
- Inherited traits: a family history of gaps, crowded teeth, stains or blotchy teeth
- Chips and cracks
- Broken, cracked or discoloured fillings
- Discoloured or unnatural looking porcelain crowns with black margins
- Discoloured teeth due to metal fillings
- Uneven tooth length due to tooth grinding
- Overgrowth of gum tissue which leads to short teeth or a gummy smile.
Depending on the problem, the cosmetic solution can be very simple and inexpensive or could be more involved.
Cosmetic dentistry can involve;
- Professional cleaning of teeth
- Whitening of teeth
- Amalgam removal
- Tooth coloured fillings
- A combination of some or all of the above!
Our Smile Gallery